It was my birthday a few weeks ago, and I think this birthday hit me harder than most. This unshakeable feeling that I’d finally reached the age of “adulthood” came over me. I felt this sudden pressure to have the next 50 years planned out, to be on our 3rd child, to have our retirement plans mapped, and on and on. I used to think that your 20s are a time to figure things out and your 30s are when your grown-up years start. AKA, you know exactly what you’re doing, you are well on your way with your family, etc. Let me just start by saying this: What a crock of $#%@!
Growing, maturing, transforming – these are not concepts solely relegated to your 20s. Where did I get the idea that I had to have EVERYTHING figured out by 31? Why did I suddenly feel like we were supposed to be on child #3, with our lives planned out until retirement? I am not sure why I woke up feeling behind in life, or that all personal evolution had to be completed for the rest of my life. Perhaps it’s social media comparisons. Or maybe the picture in my head telling me what life “should” look like at this point. Either way, when I stopped to think about what was upsetting me, I realized how ridiculous and unfounded it was!
THE GROWTH CONTINUES
While this birthday brought up some funk that I had to deal with, I came out of it in a much better headspace. At the end of the day, I realized several things. You will never stop learning and evolving. There is no specific decade for doing these things – it’s just called life. And when I realized how much I’m still learning about myself and life everyday, it was such a relief. I accepted [for the most part ;)] that I’m not perfect in my 31 years, I don’t know everything and that I never will. That’s what life’s all about – learning as you go and allowing yourself the grace to be imperfect and ever-changing. When I came out of my birthday/life expectation hangover, I remembered how beautiful and wonderful my life is and how everything is unfolding in the perfect time.
THE YEAR TO COME
In the spirit of #LeoSeason [Hello A-Rod & J-Lo – need I say more?], I wanted to share with y’all 7 things I’m looking forward to in the next year:
- Finishing up a project that I’m working on right now that is going live in a couple of weeks! The team has been working extremely hard and I think everyone is ready to see the fruits of their labor. Myself included.
- Travelling to Napa, Portland & Vancouver [that is the vacation we’re taking this fall and I’m pumped! Any tips/recs, let me know!] I’ll be doing a travel guide for these cities as well.
- Growing in my career by taking more risks, setting really big goals and believing in myself. [And documenting it as I go to help other women in similar situations.]
- Planning our next International trip – our goal is to take one a year, which didn’t work out in 2017, so hopefully at the start of next year!
- Continuing to work on this blog and creating more helpful [hopefully!] content for other like-minded women!
- Fall – Texas ladies, can I get an amen? I’m ready for pumpkin spice lattes and chunky sweaters and brown leather boots and leopard printed scarves…mmhmm…if I close my eyes, I’m almost there! It’s so crazy to me that I now crave Fall when Summer was my favorite season my entire life [#leobaby through and through].
- Getting to know YOU better! I hope to connect with more women this year who are on this journey of self-discovery, being #girlbosses and pursuing their creative passions.
What are you looking forward to in the remainder of this year and in the next? I’d love to hear from you in the comments below. Also, how fun is this unicorn cake?? I asked for one [to the bewilderment of my husband, haha] and it’s probably my favorite birthday cake that I’ve ever had! Cheers to 31, and cheers to your 30s ladies. 🙂