Hopefully you had a rejuvenating weekend and are off to a great week!
Late last year, I blogged about how I had given up dairy, which you can read about here. Well, when I got pregnant, that all went out the window. 🙂 I had a terrible aversion to meat during the first trimester, so I knew I had to get my protein from somewhere. One of the ways that I supplemented my diet was with this delicious yogurt snack! [1 cup of this yogurt has 20g of protein.] I also loved that it was an easy way to incorporate superfoods such as blueberries, cacao powder, cinnamon and chia seeds into my diet.
What is a Superfood, you ask? Miriam Webster defines Superfoods as: “a food (such as salmon, broccoli, or blueberries) that is rich in compounds (such as antioxidants, fiber, or fatty acids) considered beneficial to a person’s health.” I add several Superfoods to this yogurt snack to reap the health benefits and also because they make the snack absolutely delicious. Raw cacao powder has high levels of antioxidants, iron and magnesium. Chia seeds are a great source of omega-3 fatty acids and cinnamon has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties.
I originally saw my girlfriend eat greek yogurt with fruit and granola years ago and that’s what started my love of it. Then my dad [and subsequently I] became obsessed with adding superfoods to his diet, and the recipe evolved from there! Check it out below.
- 2 tablespoons of Fage Greek Yogurt or Siggi’s Icelandic Style Skyr
- Handful of Blueberries [blackberries and raspberries would work as well*]
- 1 Tablespoon Granola [this is completely optional; if you’re trying to stay low-sugar, then you can avoid it]
- 1 Teaspoon Chia Seeds
- A pinch of Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon Cacao Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Honey [I usually buy an organic one or a local one. Local honeys like this one are known to help with seasonal allergies.]
*Note: I prefer blueberries because they’re easier to mix in with the yogurt and other ingredients.
- Place yogurt in Medium-sized bowl (I use this one)
- Add blueberries and then the rest of the ingredients
- Mix and enjoy!
You can scale this recipe up if you’d like a larger serving. Feel free to play with the proportions to best suit your palette.
If you have any healthy snacks that you love, let me know in the comments below. I’m always looking for new snacks to incorporate into my diet regimen!