Finding clothes that fit, look good AND make you feel good during pregnancy is not easy. In fact, I’d go so far as to say that it’s one of my least favorite things to do! And I am someone that loves curating the perfect ensemble. There’s something about feeling put together that makes you feel confident and ready to take on the day / meeting / grocery trip 😉 / whatever it may be!
Shop the Look
I’ve put together a list of all of the wardrobe staples I’ve enjoyed during my pregnancy:
- Ingrid and Isabel Maternity Dress: This dress is a must-have. I recommend it for every trimester. I have it in ‘olive green’ [pictured above] and I borrowed the navy blue version from my girlfriend during my first pregnancy. It fits well, it makes you feel good [like you’re being hugged in all of the right places], and comes in every color! You can wear it to date night, a more formal event with a blazer or jacket or to run errands with sneakers. If you’re wanting a more cost-effective option, Target carries this line as well in a similar option.
- Body con Maxi Dress: Affordable maternity basics and staples can also be found at Old Navy. I personally never want to spend a ton of money on maternity clothes unless they’re for a special occasion [i.e. event, synagogue, etc.] So Old Navy is a great option!
- V-Neck Tees: Stock up on your maternity basics here. I love these v-neck tees. They’re super comfortable and they’re perfect to throw on with a pair of jeans or shorts.
- Scoop neck tops: These are the most comfortable maternity tops I own. They’re so stretchy and feel so good on the skin. I have this top in white and black! I also have the short-sleeve version in navy.
- Tank Tops: these are basic tanks and have been great for summer!
- Spaghetti straps: I wear these under most of my tops. This one from Ingrid & Isabel and this one from Old Navy have been my go-tos. They only have the Old Navy one in blue right now but they have the v-neck version in white here.
- White Jeans: These are sold out but I recommend any 7 for All Mankind jeans for maternity if you are looking for a higher end option. They are definitely an investment piece as they are more expensive, but the quality speaks for itself. They fit great and last, just like their non-maternity counterparts. (A similar option with a side panel, if you prefer that, can be found here.)
- Denim Jeans: I love the Ankle Skinny in the 7 for All Mankind brand and the Maternity version does not disappoint. Great quality and fit. These are comfortable and have kept up so well. I wear them with everything.
- Shorts: These are comfortable and are at a good price point. I added an extra roll to the hem which I think made them look better.
- Pixie Ankle Pant: These were such a lifesaver for me during my first pregnancy! I wore them to every work meeting. They have a side panel which allows you to pear them with blouses more easily [some of the full panel pants are made of dark fabric and it shows through the lighter-colored tops]. They also look professional and have a solid fit.
- Sports Bras: These bras have worked great throughout both pregnancies and can be worn postpartum as well. They are nursing-friendly which makes them super convenient.
- Lounging / Nursing / Sleep Bras: I love these for lounging around the house. They are much more comfortable than a standard bra. And once you have the baby, these are great to sleep in. I wore them every night to “sleep” [ha! ;)] postpartum.
- Sleep shorts: these shorts are heavenly! They are so soft and comfortable and what I reach for to lounge in around the house [since none of my other soffe shorts or pj pants fit anymore. ;)]
I hope these maternity staples help you compile your pregnancy wardrobe. It’s certainly not an easy thing to do, but it’s so worth it when you have pieces you can reach for knowing you’ll look good and feel comfortable. Let me know if there are any pregnancy closet must-haves that you love!
Photography by: Megan Weaver